For most people, a prison is a place they want to stay away from and avoid. Prisons and correction facilities have filled up to the brim with people sentenced to imprisonment or awaiting trials. As these prisons consist of individuals of different threat levels, innovative prison security systems have become an essential aspect of keeping them under control. In addition to traditional security concerns like surveillance, visitor management, riots, and others, prisons and correctional facilities have unique challenges to face. These include inmate escape, hostage situations, contraband gangs, along with privacy and regulatory protocols. Along with all these issues, these facilities face regular security audits for improvements and regulations.
Video surveillance for corrections and prisons plays a vital role in maintaining order throughout the facility and identifying any unexpected situation. With such systems, security guards and central monitoring have every second in the notice to take action. Security teams have the means to remain on-guard against any situation while ensuring physical safety for inmates and themselves. In this aspect, when considering the upgrades inside a correctional facility, innovative prison security systems become a top priority.
Benefits Of Surveillance Systems
In prison, the surveillance system is an essential feature to ensure safety and security for both inmates and staff. Surveillance footage provides live feed and evidence of documenting incidents like inmate violence, drug usage, or misconduct. Here are a few ways prisons and correction facilities benefit from the system:
- Placement of multiple security cameras at key points provides several points of view for correctional officers to review. The surveillance helps to maintain order in inmate concentrated areas like mess hall (minimum facility) or housing unit in the day time (higher security)
- The presence of hidden cameras in cells, medical bays, intake, and bookings provide officer and inmate safety. The security system monitors every moment, and the presence of cameras has a deterrent effect on assaults and riots
- The camera placement outside of the facility helps to monitor any suspicious or illegal activity of the inmates. This prevents activities like drug smuggling from inside or outside of the facility or contraband entry
- Innovative prison security systems have a better storage space than traditional methods. They can utilize cloud storage facility for storing archived video and easy access. This facility proves useful during investigations, assaults, crime reporting, or secure submission of evidence
Besides these significant benefits, video surveillance for corrections and prisons also plays an essential part in reducing security challenges with specific features. These features include:
Increases Coverage With Clarity
Many correctional facilities have a large area that needs coverage that includes medical units, dining halls, cellblocks, hallways, and others. An updated and advanced security system can give coverage over large areas without losing clarity of view. Earlier analog cameras struggle with the ability to provide clear images. With the advanced systems of today, crisp and clear images help in mitigating security issues.
Advanced features in today’s innovative prison security systems allow tracking individual inmate tracking facility. The analytic software applications allow monitoring personnel to identify a moving target or object. These applications can also count human beings, monitor queues, or identify a geographical location. This helps in investigations by searching video archives and matching custom criteria in a relatively short time.
Facial Recognition And Alerts
Modern surveillance systems have the ability of facial recognition. Especially for a crowded prison facility, this feature allows security personnel to keep track of every individual inmate even if they wear the same clothes. These systems also have an alert feature that promptly notifies if an inmate goes beyond the set threshold.
Few Risks Associated
- Inmates have all the time needed to come up with creative ideas to manipulate or sabotage the security system. Tempering with electric wiring is an everyday activity among these. Replacement of these cameras is a cost consideration, so an effective installation away from harm is necessary
- Inmate privacy rights always remain a subject of controversy associated with video surveillance for corrections and prisons. Some facilities require oversight in cellblocks, while others consider it a breach of personal space. Facilities have to consider state rules and regulations regarding prison management
- A security system is only useful if there is a trained staff present to handle the situation
The features mentioned above and benefits reflect light on the importance of innovative prison security systems. Security features require effective monitoring of inmates, and a modern system can provide the facility with just the right way.